Historic Fort Worth’s Cattle Baron’s Homes

Stand where the cattle barons stood when livestock was king and ranching ruled the Southwest. For the cattle barons who made their fortunes in the dawn of the 20th century, the ultimate sign of success was a grand mansion in Fort Worth, the location of the largest livestock market in the Southwest. Thistle Hill and McFarland House are Fort Worth’s 1st and 2nd Local Landmarks and are Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Open for tours Wednesdays-Fridays & Sundays.

The 1899 Ball-Eddleman-McFarland House is the region’s most intact Queen Anne residence, boasting a sandstone-carved porch and copper-spired slate roof. Elaborate interiors are so embellished with intricately-patterned wood, stained glass and marble that the house has been called a “jewel box.”

Built in 1904 by an heir to one of Texas’ great ranching dynasties, Thistle Hill is a commanding mansion with a glistening green tile roof and massive limestone columns. The Georgian Revival mansion is filled with 19th and 20th century period furnishings, and the expansive, manicured grounds feature an elegant tea house and a rare “transitional” carriage house, designed for both horses and automobiles.

Address
1110 Penn St
Fort Worth TX, 76102

Website
Visit Website

Phone
817-336-2344

Hours
Open Wednesdays-Fridays & Sundays.