Add Ennis to your must-see list. Twenty-five minutes from downtown Dallas on I-45, Ennis is an easy getaway destination that’s conveniently located near all of the major sports attractions, as well as the DFW Airport. Enjoy strolling down the brick-lined streets of downtown’s historic district or plan a visit in April to experience the breathtaking bluebonnets of the “Official Bluebonnet Trail of Texas.”
In May, taking place every Memorial Day weekend, savor the city’s Czech heritage at the annual National Polka Festival. Ennis offers ample accommodations and meeting space, unique restaurants and shopping and the scenic Lake Bardwell. Step back in time at the 6-screen Galaxy Drive-In Theatre, just north of Ennis; enjoy live theatre at the Ennis Public Theatre or at Theatre Rocks; or catch a little speed at the AAA Texas NHRA Fall Nationals at the Texas Motorplex. Other highlights include the Ennis Railroad and Cultural Heritage Museum; the Ennis Czech Music Festival in February; the Ennis Farmer’s Market from April-October, Autumn Days and Ennis Fall Festival in October; and the annual Christmas Parade of Lights in December. Don’t miss the Lights of Ennis, when thousands of twinkling lights illuminate downtown Ennis each December.
Things to do in Ennis TX
- Visit the Ennis Bluebonnet Trails – a scenic driving or walking route showcasing the beautiful bluebonnets during the spring.
- Explore the nearby Lake Bardwell – a lake with fishing, boating, camping, and hiking opportunities.
- Go shopping and dining at the nearby downtown Ennis area – a historic downtown area with shops, restaurants, and a weekly farmer’s market.
- Attend the National Polka Festival – an annual festival celebrating Ennis’ Czech heritage with polka music, food, and cultural events.
- Visit the Ennis Railroad and Cultural Heritage Museum – a museum showcasing the history of the railroad and the town’s cultural heritage.
- Go on a wine tour at the nearby Bluebonnet Trail Winery – a winery producing a variety of wines from Texas-grown grapes.
- Visit the nearby Texas Motorplex – a large drag racing track with several racing events throughout the year.
- Go bird-watching or hiking at the nearby Bardwell Lake Wildlife Management Area – a scenic area with trails and wildlife viewing opportunities.
- Attend the Ennis Freedom Fest – an annual festival celebrating Independence Day with a parade, live music, and fireworks.
- Take a trip to the nearby Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex – a large metropolitan area with several attractions, including museums, theme parks, and sports stadiums.