Hailed as the “Dinosaur Capital of Texas,” this quaint town is rich with both celebrated beauty and world-class attractions. Its historic downtown features a 122-year-old courthouse square, bustling with unique shops surrounded by hills and rivers. Glen Rose was once voted “America’s Dream Town.”
Step back in time with a visit to Dinosaur Valley State Park, which features some of the best-preserved dinosaur tracks in the world, as well as scenic hiking, biking and horseback riding trails, campsites, playgrounds and easy access to the Paluxy River. Another Glen Rose attraction is Dinosaur World, where visitors can journey a trail that almost comes alive with over 100 life-size dinosaurs. Dinosaur World is also home to an incredible prehistoric museum, a fossil dig for kids and more.
Fossil Rim Wildlife Center is one of the country’s most renowned wildlife conservation preserves, featuring dozens of endangered species like the cheetah, black rhino, white rhino and red wolf. Expert staff members give educational drive-thru tours, as well as behind-the-scenes excursions.
Other Glen Rose attractions include museums, shopping, restaurants, a top-rated 36-hole golf course, an exposition center and an outdoor amphitheater. Glen Rose has over 30 unique bed and breakfasts, cabins, guest homes and hotels for both weekend getaways and extended vacations.
Things to do in Glen Rose TX
Glen Rose, TX is a small town in North Texas known for its beautiful natural surroundings and outdoor activities. Here are some things to do in Glen Rose:
- Visit the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center – a wildlife conservation center with over 1,000 animals on a 1,800-acre ranch, where visitors can drive through and observe them.
- Explore the Dinosaur Valley State Park – a park with hiking trails, fishing, camping, and the chance to see real dinosaur footprints.
- Go horseback riding at the Rough Creek Lodge and Resort – a luxury resort with several activities, including horseback riding.
- Visit the Barnard’s Mill and Art Museum – a restored 1860s gristmill that now houses an art museum.
- Take a swim in the Big Rocks Park – a natural park with large rock formations, swimming areas, and picnic spots.
- Go kayaking or tubing on the Brazos River – a scenic river with several companies offering guided tours and rentals.
- Visit the Glen Rose Downtown Square – a charming area with several shops, restaurants, and historic buildings.
- Explore the Paluxy River – a river with several swimming areas, fishing spots, and scenic views.
- Attend a rodeo or cowboy event at the Somervell County Expo Center – an event center with several events throughout the year.
- Take a hot air balloon ride over the scenic countryside with Skydive Dallas.