Billed as “The Place Where Texas History Lives,” Granbury offers a glimpse into another time, but keeps pace with its modern counterparts in Dallas and Fort Worth. Located just 35 miles southwest of Fort Worth on Highway 377, escape the fast pace of the Metroplex and enjoy the tranquility of Granbury. Its vibrant historic town square, dominated by the magnificently appointed Hood County Courthouse, is dotted with numerous historical markers that tell the story of the area’s past.
Spectacular shops, venues and world-class restaurants line the square, giving visitors everything they need and want, all within walking distance. The nearby Langdon Center and galleries host ongoing shows from local and national artists throughout the year. Plus, a short walk away is a real white sand beach on Lake Granbury.
Things to do in Granbury TX
Granbury, TX is a historic city located southwest of Fort Worth, known for its charming downtown area, scenic lake, and historic sites. Here are some things to do in Granbury:
- Visit the Granbury Opera House – a historic theater with live performances and shows.
- Take a walking tour of the Granbury Square – a historic downtown area with several shops, restaurants, and buildings.
- Go on a boat ride on Lake Granbury – a scenic lake with several boat rental options.
- Visit the Hood County Jail and Historical Museum – a historic jail now serving as a museum with exhibits on local history.
- Take a ghost tour of Granbury that explores the city’s haunted history.
- Explore the Granbury City Beach Park – a park with a sandy beach, swimming area, and picnic spots.
- Attend the Brazos River Music Fest – a music festival held in May.
- Go wine tasting at the Barking Rocks Winery – a local winery with a variety of wines to taste.
- Visit the Shanley House Center for the Arts – a historic house that now serves as an art gallery and cultural center.
- Take a day trip to the nearby Dinosaur Valley State Park – a park with hiking trails, camping, and the chance to see real dinosaur footprints.